Sign in to follow this  
Dr-David-Banner

Psychology Of Music

Dr-David-Banner

Here's a link to a very early live appearance of the Rolling Stones. Being into Rock and Pop, Blues and Jazz of that era, recently I got interested in the psychology behind it all. Someone, by the way, might have an idea why it is females these days don't scream or go hysterical over Rock stars? Back in time from the late 1950s, the impact of said icons was totally huge. 

First food for thought:

(1) I noticed the more people say they like your music, the more others will fall in line. It's like a snowball. I have to ask though why does the actual music require this snowball effect? I mean, let's say that today the Rolling Stones uploaded a track identical to what they were doing in 1965 - well what would you expect to happen? Of course, so much has changed in the way people think and what influences them. Anyway, I do know that The Beatles manager Brian Epstein arranged to gather a mass of screaming females when the Beatles first landed in America, knowing excitement would spread. 

Looking at the videos of early Stones T.V. appearances, the live performances weren't really anywhere near as good as the vinyl L.P. tracks (recorded in a studio). Personally, being into music as I am, these performances don't really impress me that much (just going on the quality of the audio). Yet, as you see, people are going bananas, screaming, fainting, yelling. Meantime, Mick Jagger (who was never fancied by girls at school), simply has to twist his hips and hit the vocals and - hysteria. By the way, on this note, it was John Lennon who really got p++++d off by the fact during the early live gigs, they couldn't hear themselves play on stage due to the mayhem (and nobody else could hear either). 

Final point as time is short. Pop and Rock is really a "social phenomenon". It's very neurotypical although a lot of the artists have been kind of disassociated from normality. For me, music is a totally different experience as it's done in isolation by myself (for myself). I did have one very talented friend who was on the spectrum and he just couldn't handle being in a group (even though they did appear on TV). All of this makes me think as I guess there has to be some thought about how you do music away from the social context of it. 

On the other hand, what we do know is the snowball effect of mass influence can make you really big.

sc.jpg

Edited by Dr-David-Banner