Max

Relationships with asperger's syndrome

Max

Hello, I am 20 years old and have aspergers. I am in my first serious relationship and I am having problems with obsessing over my partner. As a child I was reclusive like most people with aspergers but I still wanted a relationship and it was one of my obsessions. I finally got my first real girlfriend almost a year ago and we are still together now but I have a problem with smothering her with love and attention. I know I have to not be clingy but the only thing I can think about is being with her. Iv tried a lot of things like diverting my attention, going somewhere else for a little bit, trying to pull myself back a little, and you get it. So I need some advice about how to help my obsessive tendencies with aspergers to help eliminate the stress in our relationship. Thankyou.

ancus

Has she actually said you're too clingy?

EccentricChemist

I'm not sure I'm the right one to answer this question, my ex-wife said I pretty much ignored her for most of our marriage.  But I think I can understand your clinginess, I think I'm a bit insecure with people, and even with my ex-wife when we were married.  Perhaps you could focus a bit on some projects you might be interested in, spend time workiing on whatever it is that is of interest to you. My problem is that I was too far in that direction in other words focusing on things I was doing and not on my wife. I think somewhere in the middle is best for a relationship.