Dr-David-Banner

Maths Issues

Dr-David-Banner

Q is the relationship between resistance and reactance in a resonant circuit. Reactance is like resistance but it is only for AC and depends upon frequency and value of capacitor or inductor. In henrys or farads. At a resonant frequency the reactance of the inductor and capacitor combines with pure resistances, such as the coil. To find the Q divide resistance into reactance value. Resistance might be 20 ohms and reactance 200 ohms. Q also determines the selectivity of the resonant circuit into sharp or broad. So to sum up: Reactance is a resistance in ohms but it's not just like a lamp resistance or smaller wire. Reactance depends upon capacity - a larger capacitor being 16 microfarads as opposed to small 20 picofarads. Also on frequency. To find reactance would be 0.0002 × 3.5 × 6.28 (0.0002=200 picofarads as fraction of microfarad), 3.5 megahertz and 6.28 is twice pi. Divide total into 1 gives reactance but I've not included inductance formula. The hard bit of that sum is mostly you need to work out the picofarad value on the basis there are a million in a microfarad. So 0.1 microfarad is really 100 thousand picofarads.

Dr-David-Banner

My maths isn't natural talent but the result of hard work. My autistic eye for detail and patterns does apply to my maths however. Certain aspects of maths have to be compensated for in my case. As to autism as I said my best friend didn't meet the full criteria for classic autism but he was definitely autistic. In maths and music he was gifted from early age. And at school he did well. Probably in the USSR diagnostic system he would have been diagnosed with autistic psychopathy where speech comes early (9 months or so) and intellect above average. I would have been diagnosed with Early Childhood Autism where motor movement is more affected and delay in school.

Aspergolfer

I have a learning disability with math. However, God has given me great ability when it comes to words. By God's grace, I have an ability to understand the Scriptures with ease.

Dr-David-Banner
2 hours ago, Aspergolfer said:

I have a learning disability with math. However, God has given me great ability when it comes to words. By God's grace, I have an ability to understand the Scriptures with ease.

Be careful. It is O.K. to say you have a disability in maths. It is not a good idea to write yourself off as unable to do maths as a consequence. In fact, that is likewise Biblical. It's just I prefer to say don't accept social programming where people told you you can't do something - on the basis you have to work harder than they do to get a result. Put simply, if I can do maths - anyone can do maths. I confess though if I'd known beforehand how hard I had to work, maybe I'd have left it alone.

Dr-David-Banner
2 hours ago, Aspergolfer said:

This is for you. I thought I'd forward it. Larry Norman was a rock gospel singer.

Edited by Dr-David-Banner

Aspergolfer

Thank you very much.

Aspergolfer

I've tried for decades to wrap my brain around numbers. That's just not my gift. That was cool, thank you very much.

Dr-David-Banner

Good singer isn't he? George Martin produced one of his albums.