Myrtonos

Neurotypicals mutually accepting apparently contradicting beliefs

Myrtonos

For example, if their reason for (not) saying, doing or believing something mutually contradicts with some (other) belief of theirs.

Peridot

Many people kind of cherry pick where they just twist everything around so that they can get the thing(s) they want regardless of morality. There's no consistency therefore.

"People are amoral, power seeking mammals"

- Stefan Molyneux

Myrtonos

What's that got to do with accepting apparently contradicting beliefs? An example is mutually accepting that all men are mortal and that Apollo is a man, given that Apollo is immortal.

Edited by Myrtonos
mistake

Peridot

Some people might say they believe certain things but they in fact don't.

Recently I was listening to a few Christians. And they said that you and me will burn in Hell for the time it takes for God to create Heaven on Earth and then we will be permanently destroyed by Him, Myrtonos. Willow too. And just about everybody else you can think of. God will destroy us completely because we haven't accepted Jesus as our savior.

The people that do accept Jesus, they say will live forever on the new Earth, apparently perfectly happy even though innocent people have burned in Hell and have been murdered by the God they see as the "God of love".

According to them you can be a perfectly moral person with a spotless resume where you've never hurt a soul in your entire life but then if you don't follow certain rules Jesus has set up and e.g. behave sexually in certain ways you'll burn in Hell regardless. And be killed.

Nobody actually believes stuff like that. But they say they do and then it seems they "accept contradicting beliefs" like a God who forgives just about everyone yet at the same time kills just about everyone when he e.g. doesn't like how they behave sexually.

That's kind of what I meant.

EccentricChemist

Hi Peridot,  I consider myself a Christian, a follower of Christ.  I don't believe God will destroy, or condemn those who don't believe.  I think that's a foolish belief of other supposed Christians.  I think if people are moral like you say, "have a spotless resume" etc. and even though they don't "accept" Jesus in this life I don't believe they will go to hell. I don't have a spotless resume, I served iin the infantry in the army, and did things I'm not proud of, but I think I'll  be ok with God.  I think if there is a God, and I like to believe there is, but my faith waivers a bit sometimes, that he is our ultimate dad, and no good parent would condemn their children to hell, or something like that just because of a belief system.  That seems completely illogical to me.  I think people who are not moral, murderers, rapists etc. will have to answer for that in the afterlife if there is one.  I think for me at least that a belief in a God has helped me to be a better person, and if that's all it does than the placebo effect is good enough.  Anyway you, and most of the others on this site seem liike pretty cool people.  I'd like to know people like you in real life.  

Peridot

@EccentricChemist Well, thanks. That's very nice of you to say. ^_^ You seem cool too.

The Christians I was listening to… One of them is/was an alcoholic. Someone responded to one of his videos with some constructive criticism and he immediately started to insult him, calling him a dumb fagg*t. So I don't really take that guy seriously.

He speaks with other Christians, one of them a fundamentalist and that guy e.g. rebuffed criticism where people asked how one can be a Christian in good conscience when God lets people burn in Hell for all of eternity by saying that people only burn for a while before they are completely and utterly destroyed which I thought was so stupid. I don't take him seriously either.

There is this other Christian on YouTube who became very smug at one point and said to someone half-jokingly "Well, maybe you're not good enough to be in church" which is against the Christian teachings, I would say. To look down on people and parade around on your high horse, seeing yourself as "better" or "Holier-than-thou". So that moment where be became so smug with a twinkle in his eyes gave that guy away. I don't take him seriously.

Myrtonos

A lot of talk about Christianity, does that have much to do with accepting that A equals B and B equals C without any sense that A equals C?

EccentricChemist

I don't like people like that who talk down on others, I would ask them did Jesus talk to people like that?  But more likely I would just not listen to what they have to say, in my mind they're wrong.  To me people who claim to be Christians, and talk and act like the ones you mention aren't.  I'm also not too big on "scripture quoters" (no offence to anyone, it's just my thing).  Just look at the way Jesus treated people, he also associated with all types of people regardless of their life decisions.  To me being a Christian means treating others better than myself and not judging them but listening, I'm not the best at it but I try.  I believe we're all Gods kids, and he's our father, and he would never let anyone burn in hell just because they didn't believe iin him here on Earth, I suppose we'll all believe or not in the afterlife maybe we get a second chance then to make our choices, but I don't believe we'll be condemned for eternity either way.  Not sure if I'm making much sense here, but this is my view of things.     

Myrtonos

Say someone plays with loom bands to keep them calm, the neurotypical present knows why they are looming, or at least has a reason to believe that autistic person is looming to stay calm. The neurotypical in question also wants them to stay calm but still tells them not to play with loom bands, claiming that it is embarrasing.