Sign in to follow this  
Dr-David-Banner

Therapy

Dr-David-Banner

I got to the stage now where I ought to think about therapy. I started off asking questions about my lack of emotions and emotional connection. I realised I am capable of deep emotional connection to animals. And a lot of kindness towards animals. So, the problem is related to people. From there I was asking why emotions are needed and to what extent. Most people are in my view too ruled by emotion but I think to just rule emotions out altogether would create an empty personality. No humour, no sensitivity or ability to support anyone else - which is a survival mechanism.

Dr-David-Banner

Those of us who show clear signs of autism at infancy tend to be more limited by weak emotional communication or empathy. Other people on the autism spectrum may have this symptom to a lesser degree. Speech at infancy (or lack of) is thought to play a role. I am thinking lately about why emotions are important and to what degree we need them.

Peridot

Hey, if you think you can benefit from therapy, I'd say go for it. 🙂

I think a lot of people claim to feel more than they do and maybe the opposite is true too in a sense where people think/say they feel very little while they in fact are more sensitive than the average person? 🤔

Dr-David-Banner

By "therapy" I mean I think I need to consider what I can do to move forward, if possible. There is no "cure" as such as difficulties started from a very early age. They just passed through stages. However, so far I managed to recognise a lot better how I differ by standards of normality. In the past I wasn't aware. I never realised how other people function. I can't undo who I am as if there were never any issues to start with but I can hopefully try to think in terms of therapy. That is I think therapy works if you can be objective.

Dr-David-Banner

As to sensitivity, definitely my dog years helped. Bonding with a dog taught me a lot. I was broken hearted when he died. That feeling of loss was devastating. That shows even with autism feelings are still somewhere inside. Just with people I don't get those emotions. Except watching Forest Gump and the end bit where Jenny died. Then again that was close to home as Forest was autistic in the movie.

Ace

You should try "The Imitation Game" you might like it. I may have mentioned it somewhere on here before. Made me cry like a mom who lost their kid. As for the feelings like these, and those you mentioned when your dog passed, I think they are very important for a healthy emotional balance. Simply trying to suppress your negative emotions will inevitably lead to much worse. But also not taking time once in a while to do something you enjoy and that makes you happy will leave you in a sort of slum that is hard to escape. That's actually why I took a liking to occasionally listening to really sad music and pondering some of the darker thoughts I would be having at the time almost to the point of getting upset and sad at the same time. I feel like it leaves me happier when not listening to it. And then there is the rare case when I get mad and listen to deep trap. I like to think I use music to bring out the emotions that I am supposed to be having. I definitely think emotions are pretty important to ones overall health. 

Dr-David-Banner

I think my physics and electronic work makes me even less emotional. Hours at a time solving problems. Doing music has a different effect. Singing is the only time I pay real attention to expression. Then again, I learned over time pop and rock musicians are often very troubled souls. Very recently Brian Wilson almost pulled out of his engagements due to schizophrenia (which affected him for years).