Mike_GX101

Have You Ever Idolized Something Or Someone?

Mike_GX101

Have you ever idolized something or someone?  What was it or who were they?  How did you express your feelings?  Did you even know it at the time why you felt that way or acted in the way that you did?  Were you able to express your feelings or did you just act out oblivious to the reason for that behaviour?

Toran

Ive tended to idolize people like ghandi Doris stokes and currently enjoying the experience of discovering the teachings of Budda.

The thing ive learnt is that idolizing someone sends you in the wrong direction you shouldn't put everything on one person or a group of individual's.

If you do then you never discover things about yourself you try to take on a part of that person which you cant do obviously.

Whether its spiritual or a actor or singer you spend your time following them when you could be following your own true self. That isn't to say you cant love the time you spend focusing on this person or taking things from them that inspires you.

There is a big difference and its important to keep the balance other idolizing someone can become an obsession.

Guest Chris

I used to idolize this dude (Björn Gelotte), a guitarist, from In Flames.

tumblr_m7t3uvF1Ri1rq5qhro1_500.jpg

He inspired me - the main reason I learnt to play guitar - and learnt to play many of In Flames' songs. :D I really wanted his 'zebra stripes' sleeve (tattoo) at one point. I still kinda do, but it would probably look daft... and I'd probably regret it at some point. I've been lucky enough to score meet and greets with the band twice, so met him twice - that was awkward. We didn't really talk much, he was just telling everyone some cool tour-stories. :P

Ben

I'm a very hard man to please. I'm not easily inspired by people, I'm more interested on what I'm doing, and seeing myself achieve my goals and overcome challenges. 

But there is one man who comes to mind, when I think where my inspiration and confidence comes from, and that's Will Smith. I'm not afraid to say I love him. If that makes me sound gay, then so be it. 

Colin

My Father

He is= Kind, Wise

He sees potential in me

Mike_GX101

I asked this question because believe it or not to idolize means "to love to excess".  And therefore if you have idolized something or someone then you have experienced love.

Nesf

No, I have special interests, but I've never idolized a person or thing.  I go through phases of really liking particular bands and listening to their music non-stop, but I don't think that counts!

Mike_GX101

Having a special interest is having something you love.  Otherwise why do you do it?

Guest Chris

Nesf might just 'enjoy' it. You don't have to 'love' something to pursue it or do it.

I sure as hell don't love my job. ;)

Mike_GX101

I have yet to hear of someone having a special interest they hate doing.  Could you imagine that?!?

Obsessions can be like that though I guess and not everyone likes or even loves their obsessions.  Like people who can't give up cigarettes and have to stand out in the freezing cold and upset those of us who like fresh air from time to time.  What those people will do just for the next fix is incredible.  If it isn't the tobacco that will steal their health it'll be the cold.

But any way if you hate something and you want to run from it then you will be able to sense the exact opposite: love

Edited by Mike_GX101