Mike_GX101

Have You Ever Idolized Something Or Someone?

Sofi

I don't know about idolizing anyone/thing. Maybe I idolize Zeus and Aphrodite. 

As for obsessions you don't really like, I think it can be possible if you become so absorbed by it and feel obliged to do it but you're past the point of enjoying it anymore. This was the case with me and WoW. I did not enjoy it anymore and it only caused me stress and upset, rather than pleasure, it was like a chore or a job, but I still felt I must play it... every day, all day. In the end, I knew I had to stop because it was getting so unhealthy, not only mentally but physically. Quitting made me poorly for a while after but I knew it was better in the long run. I've not experienced anything quite like that since, thankfully. Similar but not to that extent. 

Toran

Nesf might just 'enjoy' it. You don't have to 'love' something to pursue it or do it.

I sure as hell don't love my job. ;)

Nesf might just 'enjoy' it. You don't have to 'love' something to pursue it or do it.

I sure as hell don't love my job. ;)

I don't think there are many people who will disagree with you there Chris i cant stand my job or maybe the people there is more accurate.

Nesf

Having a special interest is having something you love.  Otherwise why do you do it?

"love" and "idolise" are not the same thing. I love my music, and learning languages,(have a great passion for them), I could be obsessed with them (think continuoulsy about them) but don't idolize them (revere blindly)

Toran

I don't know about idolizing anyone/thing. Maybe I idolize Zeus and Aphrodite. 

As for obsessions you don't really like, I think it can be possible if you become so absorbed by it and feel obliged to do it but you're past the point of enjoying it anymore. This was the case with me and WoW. I did not enjoy it anymore and it only caused me stress and upset, rather than pleasure, it was like a chore or a job, but I still felt I must play it... every day, all day. In the end, I knew I had to stop because it was getting so unhealthy, not only mentally but physically. Quitting made me poorly for a while after but I knew it was better in the long run. I've not experienced anything quite like that since, thankfully. Similar but not to that extent.

As you know i don't know much about Greek mythology but what does Zeus and Aphrodite stand for for you to name them?

Sofi

As you know i don't know much about Greek mythology but what does Zeus and Aphrodite stand for for you to name them?

In Greek mythology, Zeus was the God of the sky and the ruler of all Olympian Gods. He was the supreme ruler, Lord of the sky, the rain God, God of justice and mercy and protector of the weak. He has his trusty thunderbolt which he can throw at any who displease him. He was married to Hera.

Aphrodite was the Goddess of love, desire and beauty etc. Some myths claim she is the daughter of Zeus, while other go right back to when Cronus castrated(!) Uranus, then Aphrodite arose from the sea foam on a giant scallop, very beautifully, and walked to the shore of Cyprus. Her husband became Hephaestus. 

Gerrymanders Pose

This is all altered ego stuff....i want to be flambouant interesting and cool but im not but when i see it in others i want to be like them.

If i could be anyone (apart from the divine ) i would be Mark E Smith from the band The Fall

The Fall

Yes , The Fall...

try them

Try them out

Try You Tube....The Fall , Im not from Bury

How many people want to be YOU ?

Be You , Be Free, Be Happy

simples

OOh....Important......Don't idolise anything......The creator doesn't like it...Seriously

Mike_GX101

OOh....Important......Don't idolise anything......The creator doesn't like it...Seriously

It's pretty much the cornerstone of most religions.  That's where our word 'worship' comes from.  And all those people worshipping their God are also loving the God too I would imagine?!?  I think there is most definitely a link between worship and love although I can see why people might be uncomfortable with that notion.  Like laying yourself down at the foot of another would be quite a humiliating prospect to most people even though metaphorically such can mean you're willing to sacrifice a lot for the person in a gesture of love.  It's when that love isn't returned or is not noticed (say through the receiver's lack of empathy) that things could get sticky.  The person doing the sacrificing lays down everything and comes unstuck when it isn't returned.  Perhaps they are totally selfless and don't care or maybe they're secretly hoping for at least a smile or a nod of appreciation and if they don't even get that they may get quite confrontational and angry.  That is where I believe many aspies have difficulties because we miss the kind subtleties that others are waiting for as a confirmation of appreciation for their efforts.

Toran

It's pretty much the cornerstone of most religions.  That's where our word 'worship' comes from.  And all those people worshipping their God are also loving the God too I would imagine?!?  I think there is most definitely a link between worship and love although I can see why people might be uncomfortable with that notion.  Like laying yourself down at the foot of another would be quite a humiliating prospect to most people even though metaphorically such can mean you're willing to sacrifice a lot for the person in a gesture of love.  It's when that love isn't returned or is not noticed (say through the receiver's lack of empathy) that things could get sticky.  The person doing the sacrificing lays down everything and comes unstuck when it isn't returned.  Perhaps they are totally selfless and don't care or maybe they're secretly hoping for at least a smile or a nod of appreciation and if they don't even get that they may get quite confrontational and angry.  That is where I believe many aspies have difficulties because we miss the kind subtleties that others are waiting for as a confirmation of appreciation for their efforts.

I agree with a lot of what you say there as i have been thought ungrateful in the past for not reacting in a way that i should. Its difficult when you don't see things the way that others expect but they have to except it as much as we do they know its not deliberate so there does need to be understanding here on both sides.

Idolizing someone or god is in my opinion outdated now, it comes from a time where people were less intelligent than they are now and to them they were demi-gods.

That's why i try not to idolise anyone even if i greatly respect them for its easy to go from one to the other if you focus to much on them that's why its important to keep the focus on the self as an equal balance and what you perceive from them not following blindly.

Religion would be lost if people didn't follow blindly the teachings of there individual beliefs that's why as more and more people become aware the less attendance there has been in religious circles but that's the positive side of people waking up. Of course there is now less direction so people are thinking of themselves hence the mess of the world we live in today.

Somehow people just don't quite get the mix correct its either one extreme or the other that's our downfall we need to be somewhere in the middle to create a better place for ourselves.

MrGlass

I could never really wrap my head around idolzing someone I didn't know personally- the whole idea of "celebrity" just mystifies me. This would be one of those thinks I had difficulty relating with others on growing up... haha

Nesf

I could never really wrap my head around idolzing someone I didn't know personally- the whole idea of "celebrity" just mystifies me. This would be one of those thinks I had difficulty relating with others on growing up... haha

I have difficulty relating to this now, I really dislike this celebrity culture that's sprung up during the last 10 years or so.