Mike_GX101

Have You Ever Idolized Something Or Someone?

mary

I could never really wrap my head around idolzing someone I didn't know personally- the whole idea of "celebrity" just mystifies me. This would be one of those thinks I had difficulty relating with others on growing up... haha

I could never truly understand it myself... it's just bizarre to think that you'd idolise someone.  I have admired people for their talents or whatever though... and can appreciate really good bands / actors / etc.  I don't think I'd catagorise that as idolising though... merely admiring. 

I don't like the origin of the word 'fan' - ie fanatic... because I think that's a bit unfair to those who just admire people.  For instance, I'd call myself a fan of Freddie Mercury, but I'm not a fanatic... I just know that he was an amazing showman / musician and can appreciate that. 

I have difficulty relating to this now, I really dislike this celebrity culture that's sprung up during the last 10 years or so.

Yes, it's bizarre... but it seems that some celebrities (and I use that term loosely) will court attention in any way they can, feeding into the whole celebrity culture. 

Nesf

I could never truly understand it myself... it's just bizarre to think that you'd idolise someone.  I have admired people for their talents or whatever though... and can appreciate really good bands / actors / etc.  I don't think I'd catagorise that as idolising though... merely admiring. 

I don't like the origin of the word 'fan' - ie fanatic... because I think that's a bit unfair to those who just admire people.  For instance, I'd call myself a fan of Freddie Mercury, but I'm not a fanatic... I just know that he was an amazing showman / musician and can appreciate that. 

Yes, it's bizarre... but it seems that some celebrities (and I use that term loosely) will court attention in any way they can, feeding into the whole celebrity culture. 

Yes, but is it their fault, or the fault of the media, as they are the ones who provide us with entertainment? They have the power to decide what we will watch on TV.

Celebrities aren't born famous, with the exception of the Royal Family, they are created. To me it all seems like a vicious circle, where the media create celebrities and makes them popular, the media gives them more attention as they are popular, etc.

Mike_GX101

I have yet to hear of someone having a special interest they hate doing.  Could you imagine that?!?

OK, OK I have one!!!  I know this woman who absolutely loves horror movies...the trouble is she is sensitive and easily traumatized by them.  But each time she gets over the trauma she then wants to watch another and so round goes the obsession.

There are many such horror fans which is why the horror genre is so massive!  Some people love them (like film students) and use them to learn how to do certain special effects,  But many more fans actually don't like them and simply get a buzz from watching them even though they cannot then turn the lights out after watching them.  You'd think such trauma would make them not want to watch another horror film again and yet unbelievably they walk out of the movie store with yet another!!  Anyone know what psychological effect is at play here to make someone want to watch horror movies if they're easily traumatized by them?!?

Edited by Mike_GX101

King_oni

OK, OK I have one!!!  I know this woman who absolutely loves horror movies...the trouble is she is sensitive and easily traumatized by them.  But each time she gets over the trauma she then wants to watch another and so round goes the obsession.

There are many such horror fans which is why the horror genre is so massive!  Some people love them (like film students) and use them to learn how to do certain special effects,  But many more fans actually don't like them and simply get a buzz from watching them even though they cannot then turn the lights out after watching them.  You'd think such trauma would make them not want to watch another horror film again and yet unbelievably they walk out of the movie store with yet another!!  Anyone know what psychological effect is at play here to make someone want to watch horror movies if they're easily traumatized by them?!?

I don't know if trauma is the right word. If you have a serious trauma you would most likely need professional help since it affects your everyday functioning. If you can sit down for another movie... it's not affecting you that much.

I can imagine though some people watch horror movies just because they liked to be scared. It's a spike in adrenaline. Isn't it the same as people who go skydiving? Unless you have a really extreme fear of heights you wouldn't consider it, but a lot of people think it's scary, but still do it, just for the heck of the adrenaline rush.

Mike_GX101

Sure...but if the person then goes on to have a series of paranoid delusions following watching the film...and then goes and watches another horror movie or watches the same one again and those delusions power trip x2?!?  Perhaps it is an adrenaline rush like you say and that's making the distress even worse for them?  But I can't help but think there may be another dynamic at play?!?

King_oni

Sure...but if the person then goes on to have a series of paranoid delusions following watching the film...and then goes and watches another horror movie or watches the same one again and those delusions power trip x2?!?  Perhaps it is an adrenaline rush like you say and that's making the distress even worse for them?  But I can't help but think there may be another dynamic at play?!?

If this person gets delusions and knows this one might even wonder if this is a pattern of pathological self-harm... 

Toran

Yes, but is it their fault, or the fault of the media, as they are the ones who provide us with entertainment? They have the power to decide what we will watch on TV.

Celebrities aren't born famous, with the exception of the Royal Family, they are created. To me it all seems like a vicious circle, where the media create celebrities and makes them popular, the media gives them more attention as they are popular, etc.

Maybe I'm missing something but how does the TV have the power to decide what we watch. We can decide for ourselves what we watch and have the power its called the off button. We can think for ourselves and decide for ourselves and chose what we decide to watch, not that I watch much TV these days I'm more an eighths and ninetys man today's TV seems poor in comparison.

If this person gets delusions and knows this one might even wonder if this is a pattern of pathological self-harm...

Think about what they watch compaired to the emotions invoked.

Mike_GX101

SH comes in all shapes and sizes doesn't it, it seems.  It seems this autism comes with a nasty sting in the tail.  First there are the difficulties with social communication and social imagination and then when that has done its evil we then have difficulties dealing with the negative emotions caused by those initial difficulties which isolates us even more.  It does make sense I guess whatever the form of SH may be.  The effect is the same.  It is an outlet or a discharge of a double sting caused by the autism.

Edited by Mike_GX101

King_oni

Think about what they watch compaired to the emotions invoked.

Perhaps my bluntness shines strong today; They were watching horror movies... (at least the basis of the argument)... what emotion should it invoke? Fear? Anger? Anxiety?

My bluntness here clearly is; I never felt sad, angry or anything over a movie. So perhaps it's the farthest thing for me to imagine what one feels because of a movie.

MrGlass

...I never felt sad, angry or anything over a movie. So perhaps it's the farthest thing for me to imagine what one feels because of a movie.

Yes, I'm the same way. I have a hard time forgetting it's just a movie (or a book), I usually think about the technical aspects of the production- wondering how they did certain things. I will admit to very rarely getting startled at a horror movie, like when something jumps out and makes a loud noise- but that's not really 'scary' per se...

I will laugh at a good comedy- but it has to be funny. That's about the only genuine emotional response that is ever stirred up.