Mike_GX101

Have You Ever Idolized Something Or Someone?

Toran

Perhaps my bluntness shines strong today; They were watching horror movies... (at least the basis of the argument)... what emotion should it invoke? Fear? Anger? Anxiety?

My bluntness here clearly is; I never felt sad, angry or anything over a movie. So perhaps it's the farthest thing for me to imagine what one feels because of a movie.

Everything we do is emotionally motivated. Fair ground rides going to work sport anything is generated by it. If the people who do this are addicted to the feeling not the event they are doing. It doesn't matter about how they do it but its the deep phycological reasons thatare kept hidden that need to be explored.

mary

Yes, but is it their fault, or the fault of the media, as they are the ones who provide us with entertainment? They have the power to decide what we will watch on TV.

Celebrities aren't born famous, with the exception of the Royal Family, they are created. To me it all seems like a vicious circle, where the media create celebrities and makes them popular, the media gives them more attention as they are popular, etc.

Well, it's a two sided thing isn't it!?  It's the media and it's the celebrities.  We have some celebrities who court attention in such a way that they actual tip people off as to their whereabouts so they can be in the next magazine or paper... that to me is tragic. 

I know people who are famous who are happy... and there are those who are not quite so comfortable with it, as it means that they are recognised many places they go and have little privacy... of course, being famous means that your records / movies / shows sell, so it's a bit of a needs-must sort of thing.  Names sell albums and movies and such likes.  It's just the way it is.

The freaky part comes in when people feel that they need to know the ins and outs of the life of a famous person and start getting angry because they live in a certain way, or have a girlfriend / boyfriend / wife / husband etc.  That's just WEIRD!

Nesf

Everything we do is emotionally motivated. Fair ground rides going to work sport anything is generated by it. If the people who do this are addicted to the feeling not the event they are doing. It doesn't matter about how they do it but its the deep phycological reasons thatare kept hidden that need to be explored.

I'm not sure that literally everything we do is emotionally motivated. I mean, there are plenty of things that we do because of our bodily needs, or for our survival. I wouln't say that taking a shower was emotionally motivated, it has to do with hygeine.

Well, it's a two sided thing isn't it!?  It's the media and it's the celebrities.  We have some celebrities who court attention in such a way that they actual tip people off as to their whereabouts so they can be in the next magazine or paper... that to me is tragic. 

I know people who are famous who are happy... and there are those who are not quite so comfortable with it, as it means that they are recognised many places they go and have little privacy... of course, being famous means that your records / movies / shows sell, so it's a bit of a needs-must sort of thing.  Names sell albums and movies and such likes.  It's just the way it is.

The freaky part comes in when people feel that they need to know the ins and outs of the life of a famous person and start getting angry because they live in a certain way, or have a girlfriend / boyfriend / wife / husband etc.  That's just WEIRD!

That's a bit like the chicken and the egg, isn't it, which came first? Because in order to become famous in the first place they have to have media exposure. I agree that it's rather creepy when people are so obsessed with a celebrity that they need to know everything about their private life.

RJM

Have you ever idolized something or someone?  What was it or who were they?  How did you express your feelings?  Did you even know it at the time why you felt that way or acted in the way that you did?  Were you able to express your feelings or did you just act out oblivious to the reason for that behaviour?

Superman, though he's not a real person. I like the Messianic transhumanist vibe he has, the unlimited power, and the fact that he's a nice guy and kind of a goofball, a rare trait in all-powerful sun gods.

mary

That's a bit like the chicken and the egg, isn't it, which came first? Because in order to become famous in the first place they have to have media exposure. I agree that it's rather creepy when people are so obsessed with a celebrity that they need to know everything about their private life.

I guess in a way it is, but some people can become famous without so much media attention... ie local celebrities garnering attention through local events, local bands and gigs and such.  Obviously the more famous they become the more media attention they get from a wider range of sources though, magazines, television etc.

I definitely think it's creepy, and way beyond the realms of... normal!  I feel bad for those who don't court the attention so much, but rather just enjoy doing what they do, and then end up with crazy stalker types!

Mike_GX101

Long lost unrequited love has got to be one of the most wretched experiences in love!!  Has anyone found themselves in this boat?

Here you're head over heels with the person and you cannot communicate it with them in a meaningful way or they know and they don't feel the same way in return.  But you see them everywhere and you're besotted by them.  You buy them flowers, chocolates - you'd go to the ends of the world for them!!  But it isn't enough.  You are the Romeo who never got the "yes" response from your Juliet.  Has anyone else ever experienced that? 

Perhaps even it's the other way round and you're the Juliet who never got her Romeo!! :P

Edited by Mike_GX101

Nesf

I guess in a way it is, but some people can become famous without so much media attention... ie local celebrities garnering attention through local events, local bands and gigs and such.  Obviously the more famous they become the more media attention they get from a wider range of sources though, magazines, television etc.

I definitely think it's creepy, and way beyond the realms of... normal!  I feel bad for those who don't court the attention so much, but rather just enjoy doing what they do, and then end up with crazy stalker types!

Yes, it's possible to have local fame without becoming a household name. As for the creepy fans, that, along with the press following your every moving and putting your private life under scrutiny, is the price you have to pay for fame.

Long lost unrequited love has got to be one of the most wretched experiences in love!!  Has anyone found themselves in this boat?

Here you're head over heels with the person and you cannot communicate it with them in a meaningful way or they know and they don't feel the same way in return.  But you see them everywhere and you're besotted by them.  You buy them flowers, chocolates - you'd go to the ends of the world for them!!  But it isn't enough.  You are the Romeo who never got the "yes" response from your Juliet.  Has anyone else ever experienced that? 

Perhaps even it's the other way round and you're the Juliet who never got her Romeo!! :P

No, I've never experienced this, but I've been on the receiving end a couple of times :(

Mike_GX101

No, I've never experienced this, but I've been on the receiving end a couple of times :(

I can see by your smiley you weren't too impressed with being on the receiving end.  I suppose if they're really going OTT over it and following you around everywhere then I can see that would be quite haunting.  But if it were just a casual Romeo who sent you a Valentines Card and persisted while standing outside your window and singing you a sweet serenade?  I don't know.  Maybe the romantic era is well and truly over and such sentiments are no longer taken as they used to be?  Perhaps they belong in the bin.  Because if Romeo did that today he'd probably end up behind bars for stalking?!?

Do you agree?

Nesf

I can see by your smiley you weren't too impressed with being on the receiving end.  I suppose if they're really going OTT over it and following you around everywhere then I can see that would be quite haunting.  But if it were just a casual Romeo who sent you a Valentines Card and persisted while standing outside your window and singing you a sweet serenade?  I don't know.  Maybe the romantic era is well and truly over and such sentiments are no longer taken as they used to be?  Perhaps they belong in the bin.  Because if Romeo did that today he'd probably end up behind bars for stalking?!?

Do you agree?

One was the brother of a friend who I'd met, but who lived in another town quite far away. He started sending me text messages which started off innocent but got increasingly more romantic in nature. I tried ignoring it and pretending it wasn't happening, but he persisted. So I sent him a message to tell him he had to stop. He stopped it for a while, and then started again. Then he started to phone me too, and got really upset because I wouldn't always answer or respond to his messages. I really wasn't sure how to handle them and what to do about it. Then he started talking about visiting me, and I got scared. I told him I could meet him somewhere for coffee he couldn't visit me, and after that I never heard from him again. I've changed phone number since then, too.

The other one was when I had two adult students who i was coaching, a female one a lot older than me and a guy around my age. After about 6 months the female one took me aside and said to me, "don't you see it? He really fancies you." I was gobsmacked. I had had no idea this was going on! It should have been obvious but I didn't pick up on it - but he never did me any harm.

Neither of them stalked me, but the first one was verging on it and made me extremely nervous. I don't think there's anything wrong with courting someone in the traditional Romeo and Juliet sense of the word, but when they start to follow you around or stalk you, phone or text you all the time it's creepy, and could be dangerous.  If it's obvious that the other person isn't interested and has told you so, then you should respect that and not insist any further.

Mike_GX101

But if Romeo had been deterred by the first hurdle of his encounter with Juliet then the love affair that followed would never have happened.  Juliet would never have opened up and she would have been forever alone.  If Shakespeare teaches us anything in love it's that persistence is often the recipe to a great happy future.  It worked for Romeo!  He was so besotted by her that he would have done anything - and he did!  And it paid off.

I don't think it would work today though.  Like I said above, I think Romeo would find himself behind bars for his persistence and for not being receptive to her communications.  Courting isn't what it used to be.  It is now fraught with difficulties Romeo could never have imagined.  Love never gets the chance to open out.  The other party says no and that's where it ends.  End of.

And so he/she drives away feeling terrible inside with that unrequitted love that will never be.  Imagine where Romeo would have ended up if he hadn't persisted after Juliet?!?

Edited by Mike_GX101