Mike_GX101

Have You Ever Idolized Something Or Someone?

Toran

I learned a lesson many years ago when a gay friend actually fancied me and I was offended. But somebody took me aside and said that even though I didn't have those feelings it was still an honour that I was thought that much of. It made sence and I got through it and our friendship remained for awhile but it wasn't the same. I guess he felt the rejection was too much for him and he moved away and I never saw him again but I did learn that you should take offence and in doing so hurt another's feelings that wasn't right of me.

Nesf

But if Romeo had been deterred by the first hurdle of his encounter with Juliet then the love affair that followed would never have happened.  Juliet would never have opened up and she would have been forever alone.  If Shakespeare teaches us anything in love it's that persistence is often the recipe to a great happy future.  It worked for Romeo!  He was so besotted by her that he would have done anything - and he did!  And it paid off.

I don't think it would work today though.  Like I said above, I think Romeo would find himself behind bars for his persistence and for not being receptive to her communications.  Courting isn't what it used to be.  It is now fraught with difficulties Romeo could never have imagined.  Love never gets the chance to open out.  The other party says no and that's where it ends.  End of.

And so he/she drives away feeling terrible inside with that unrequitted love that will never be.  Imagine where Romeo would have ended up if he hadn't persisted after Juliet?!?

It's always worth trying, but you should accept defeat and show the other person respect even if they reject you. If it isn't meant to be, then it isn't meant to be and you can't change that.

I learned a lesson many years ago when a gay friend actually fancied me and I was offended. But somebody took me aside and said that even though I didn't have those feelings it was still an honour that I was thought that much of. It made sence and I got through it and our friendship remained for awhile but it wasn't the same. I guess he felt the rejection was too much for him and he moved away and I never saw him again but I did learn that you should take offence and in doing so hurt another's feelings that wasn't right of me.

I agree, if he didn't harm you in any way, then you shouldn't take offense, certainly he meant no harm.

L Lawliet

I don't know about idolising...

I know that I absolutely adore Hans Zimmer's music. I've grown up with his music without realising it (ie, Lion King). From the age of about 12, I've listened to his music everyday since I learned his name and realised just how many film scores he has composed that I have grown up with and loved. When I'm feeling down or I want to shut everything out, I put his music on and it provides me with escapism. His music helps me write too ^^

Is that idolising? I recognise that he is just a celebrity, but I admire him and the work he does. As I don't know him personally, I wouldn't do anything for him just because I admire him. It's more the music that I would count as an obsession of mine, not the person.

Does that count as idolising? I don't know.

Toran

I know that I absolutely adore Hans Zimmer's music. I've grown up with his music without realising it (ie, Lion King). From the age of about 12, I've listened to his music everyday since I learned his name and realised just how many film scores he has composed that I have grown up with and loved. When I'm feeling down or I want to shut everything out, I put his music on and it provides me with escapism. His music helps me write too ^^

Is that idolising? I recognise that he is just a celebrity, but I admire him and the work he does. As I don't know him personally, I wouldn't do anything for him just because I admire him. It's more the music that I would count as an obsession of mine, not the person.

I wouldnt say thats idolising the person just an appreciation of the music that you love. It helps you relax and when your feeling down so its obvious you have great respect for him and his music but thats a long way from idolising him as a person in my opinion at least.

Nesf

Music can have that effect, it's always been important to me too. It helps me a lot when I'm feeling down. It's the one constant thing in my life that I can depend upon and it always gives me pleasure, makes me feel better.

L Lawliet

Music can have that effect, it's always been important to me too. It helps me a lot when I'm feeling down. It's the one constant thing in my life that I can depend upon and it always gives me pleasure, makes me feel better.

And there is a piece of music for every mood too. At times it is the perfect shoulder to cry on :)