zzax27

Empathy, Or The Lack Of It

zzax27

i find conversations for the most part really exhausting, both online and real-life. i read everyone's responses and would love to reply to each of them but i have a million things to say and i donno how much of it would come out right, so i guess i'd rather just respectfully like them and not step on any toes..

im a supremely annoying combination of blunt, awkward, good-hearted and yet paranoid. And whatever i say is almost always misunderstood..

conversations are so scary sometimes...

Guest Chris

i read everyone's responses and would love to reply to each of them but i have a million things to say and i donno how much of it would come out right, so i guess i'd rather just respectfully like them and not step on any toes..

There's a multi-quote feature if you had anything in particular to say about any part of anyone's replies. :)

zzax27

thanks Chris for putting me on the spot.. hahaha..

i dont think ill be able to though... i tried doing the multiquote once already in this thread... gotta take baby steps

Ben

I might come across as offensive or not too friendly(more than anything else, i can be excessively blunt) 

I think I've found my ideal woman. Shame your in Canada.... 

Seriously though, in recent years, I've learned to develop empathy. I don't know when or how it happened though. I guess I just look out for certain signs in people, and relate to it. Disappointment, well I know how that feels. Heartbreak, well I know how that feels. Anger, well I know how that feels. Hunger, well I know how that..... Well, you get the idea.

I've been pretty cold in the past though. At times, I've appeared to have a heart of stone, usually at times of mutual trauma, like someone dying. Everyone around me could be in tears, but I'll just sit there flicking through articles on pubmed, pretending nothing is different. Just my coping strategy I guess. 

I must admit though, if I see someone crying, I'm literally trying as hard as I can to avoid laughter. It's been quite bad at times. It's awful at funerals. 

Nesf

In real life I often snap at people, speak frankly and blurt out what's goin through my mind without thinking about what affect it might have on other people, and I think I come across as very abrupt, outspoken and excessive at times. I also have a problem with my tone of voice conveying a different emotion to what I'm actually feeling, so misunderstandings occur.  This doesn't happen online because I have time to think about my reply and it's affect on others.

Xmas

I have noticed that a few people here on these forums have said that they laugh when they see other people cry.

I cannot say that I have ever done that, but I feel extremely awkward and cannot cope when I see people cry. I just desperately feel that I have got to get away from them, and if I can't get away for some reason such as being in work, I either ignore them or start talking about something totally unrelated in the hope that they stop.

zzax27

i cant cry at all in such situations... unless one counts domestic violence in childhood..haha

when my guy friends cry around me(cause surprise, i dont have any girlfriends :( ) i try to walk away.. dont like offending people at all.. so dont ask them to nut up either.. especially this one guy that wouldnt stop bawling for months on end over his gf who cheated on him. i dont understand the need to be tearful when by yourself let alone in front of others.. 

Peridot

I have noticed that a few people here on these forums have said that they laugh when they see other people cry.

That's disturbing.

zzax27

That's disturbing.

it's a symptom displayed by some aspies

Ben

It comes down to nervousness mainly. For some aspies, seeing someone cry is a little confusing, if not a little strange. Also crying an laughing are two sides to the same coin. There not so far away from as each other as you might think. Especially when emotions are racing around.