Nesf

I have read a lot of post from people describing their hypersensitivity to sensory stimultation, especially noise and touch, but also other senses including taste and light. I am also very sensitive, hypersensitive, to sound, smell and touch, but there seem to be other senses where the opposite is true, and that I've hyposensitive. For example:

I crave strong, spicy food such as curries, strong cheeses, and many foods are bland and boring to me.

While i don't like a bright light shining directly into my eyes and prefer natural lighting to articificial lighting, I much prefer to be in a well lit room to dark one , with windows I can see out of unobstructed by curtains - a dark room makes me feel low and sends me to sleep. And yet, I don't tolerate light in my room when I'm sleeping.

Are there others with ASD out there who are hyposensitive to some stimuli, or am I alone? Is this normal, or is it a contradiction of terms?

Ben

When I got my tattoo done, I was in near euphoria with the pain, I loved it. I found it so stimulating yet so relaxing. 

What drove me mad, was the five days of itching that followed it felt like a thousand ants crawling all over me. The itch almost burned. Anything delicate and tingly makes me pretty uncomfortable. I'll feel an ant crawling over me almost immediately. A pain, like a burn, or a deep cut, might take a while for me to even notice, if at all!

My pain receptors are a bit pissed.  

King_oni

I like stronger flavors in food as well. I wouldn't go as far as having wasabi daily though, but in general I like peppers and those things on my food. The same goes for cheeses I guess. 

I also have this with certain scents. The interest with that however fades sometimes. For example; my ex-girlfriend usually took an straighting iron to her bleached hair and it gave this weird burning scent. I liked that. My current girlfriend dyes her hair with henna, thus if it's fresly dyed it smells a bit like mud. It's things, while I don't crave them to the extreme, they are scents I actually like.

The bright light thing doesn't do it for me. I wear shades through all seasons. However, if we're going overstimulated; I do like to go to raves every now and then. Loud music, flashing lights... sign me up. But I really need to be in that mood and wont go to any rave just because there happens to be one. But in general, lights are no no for me. I'm nocturnal anyway, which is pretty much the only time of day you see me without shades. 

That being said, if I'm up for it, I kinda need this extreme form of sensory stimuli, since everything seems bland as well.

But then again, I often find things bland to begin with and are to some extent a bit of a junkie to find somethin new and exciting. Which might be weird for the majority of aspies.

As for the tattoo thing, I don't know (don't have any)... I somewhat the have the same with getting pierced I guess. But perhaps it's more that there's a reward to sit through it (and piercing is just a small procedure compared to getting a tat)... the healing process however is quite annoying. Luckily I'm like Weapon X in that regard, lol... I never got an infection with any of the over 15 piercings I had in my life and didn't really take extra care at all. They just healed really well.

Also, and that's an interesting notion when talking sensitivity. I'm kinda noise sensitive in that things get on my nerves really fast. Hearing a car drive past 5 blocks away sometimes wakes me. Yet, considering the type of music I listen (a lot of rock/metal as well as electronic stuff, all towards the more extreme end of the spectrum), and the fact that I delve into sounddesign and explore the sonic spectrum a lot, I have heard a lot of sounds that make people cringe, yet I'm fine with putting them up loud and analysing it. But perhaps that's just a thing where I'm in control of the volume knob. Anything I don't have control about seems overwhelming... said the control freak, heh.

iggy

The only hypo-sensitivities I can think of which apply to me are a higher pain tolerance and with physician contact (hugs) I prefer a strong touch to light and gentle hugs, which just make my skin crawl because it's like someone is almost touching you, but I barely feel it just the smells of the person being too close etc.

CherryCola

Nesf, your description sounds a lot like me. I prefer natural light, but don't like when its too dark when I'm about to sleep, so light from outside is always nice, like the moon light or a street light.

I love the spicy food a lot too, I see it as my way of knowing I'm alive haha. Some people try bungyjumping to feel alive, but I eat spicy food. :D

Nesf

I've never had a tattoo done, so I don't know how I'd react to that - but I've heard others say they find the sensation pleasurable. I often find I have cuts, burns and bruises that don't hurt, and I have no idea how I got them.

I don't think I'd ever go to a rave party, I don't like loud music and I don't like that kind of music, and I don't like bright flashing lights. And yet I can sometimes go to rock and metal concerts and tolerate them, and I don't like a dark room, I always go and sit by the window... perhaps it's a matter of control - certainly if I feel I can't control what's going on in my environment, I don't like it.

At home I find my tolerance varies a lot... sometimes i want to listen to music, and other times i can't bear it, because I feel tired and overloaded, I guess.

Toran

Im constantly changing to a certain degree on how im feeling as to what i can tolerate. But i hate confined spaces and cant use lifts at all.On holiday in Majorca we were in a tall hotel and i walked up and down about twenty flights of stairs daily. I don't like certain music's they make me irritable but others i can tolerate and certain mellow music i find very relaxing crazy how the mind works. I love curry and spicer foods though my body cant tolerate it like it used too.

Sofi

I am mostly hypersensitive and really quickly, I become overloaded with noise, light etc. When I was a child, though, I had some sensory seeking behaviour and was obsessed with feeling sand and would eat it if I didn't get caught, to feel it in my mouth I guess... Strange because now I hate sand! I crave the deep pressure (weighted blanket) when I am stressed and I know that makes me feel better, I always have - teachers/my mum used to hold me tight when I was little and stressed out. Now, I stick to the weighted blanket rather than a hug... I'd like to be okay with hugs though. I don't like light touch, similar to most people here it seems.

I guess my stimming is sensory seeking in a way because of the way the repetitive action makes me feel very calm and the way I react to a lot. Also, I still like to look at bubble tubes and lava lamps I sometimes put them on when I have a shower. I have a blanket which vibrates a bit which is nice.

Sometimes, I seek pain because I don't usually feel pain whenever I hurt myself. I sometimes try to make myself feel pain and I like the feel of it, but that's not exactly good behaviour. 

Toran

I am mostly hypersensitive and really quickly, I become overloaded with noise, light etc. When I was a child, though, I had some sensory seeking behaviour and was obsessed with feeling sand and would eat it if I didn't get caught, to feel it in my mouth I guess... Strange because now I hate sand! I crave the deep pressure (weighted blanket) when I am stressed and I know that makes me feel better, I always have - teachers/my mum used to hold me tight when I was little and stressed out. Now, I stick to the weighted blanket rather than a hug... I'd like to be okay with hugs though. I don't like light touch, similar to most people here it seems.

I guess my stimming is sensory seeking in a way because of the way the repetitive action makes me feel very calm and the way I react to a lot. Also, I still like to look at bubble tubes and lava lamps I sometimes put them on when I have a shower. I have a blanket which vibrates a bit which is nice.

Sometimes, I seek pain because I don't usually feel pain whenever I hurt myself. I sometimes try to make myself feel pain and I like the feel of it, but that's not exactly good behaviour.

No trying to experience pain isn't a good idea but i know its not as easy just to say stop doing it if you can. I fear that one day it may go to far and you may unintentionally hurt yourself quite badly. Have you mentioned this to the doctor or councilor ? Someone i knew many years ago self harmed and one day cut into a major artery the blood was up the wall everywhere. Hes passed to spirit now but that experience will stay with me i think forever.

Sofi

No trying to experience pain isn't a good idea but i know its not as easy just to say stop doing it if you can. I fear that one day it may go to far and you may unintentionally hurt yourself quite badly. Have you mentioned this to the doctor or councilor ? Someone i knew many years ago self harmed and one day cut into a major artery the blood was up the wall everywhere. Hes passed to spirit now but that experience will stay with me i think forever.

So sorry about your friend. Thank you for your concern. My doctor once knew about it but since I will getting a new psychiatrist for this anger mangement coming up, I have plans to tell them. I have done this on-and-off since 12 years old, it has only gone wrong a couple of times. I don't do it often at all and every time, I think maybe this time I won't ever do it again.