Willow

Parents Pushing for a Diagnosis

spiderwoman0_2
I am pushing for a diagnosis for Ellie but only because she struggles so much and is behind at school. The school don't really seem to want to get involved. They called us in when she was having behaviour problems and was being disruptive to the class, however as soon as that was sorted they hardly communicate with us and I have to push for every meeting, conversation, extra provision. They won't even put her on School Action at the moment and she quite obviously has SEN. We have an extensive OT report of her sensory needs and an ADHD diagnosis so far. I have spoken today with the local LEA and parent partnership service and they are going to help. It is just a particular school which has still got a lot to learn about ASDs and they just don't understand it at all. It is a village school which is about 10 years behind everyone else!

But I do agree that some parents take it too far. I hope I am not one of those parents, I just feel that every 'good' parent wants what is best for their child. Whatever their perception of that may be.

For some maybe it is so that they can shun the blame, but is that so bad to not want to be judged and hated by other parents for your child's aloof behaviour and lack of social skills. The child may be oblivious but it is still having a negative impact on them if no-one understands them.

Sorry if im being a bit touchy, it's just that this topic is quite raw at the moment as it is where we are in our journey.

Lottie x

Hi Lottie,  I was always called into school about my son because of his behaviour, he used to scratch the other children and leave marks on them, the school were brilliant but I did feel like the other parents hated me because of it all and one even wrote a letter of complaint to the school.

Sarah

Andy

Here's a thought, could it be parents perhaps seek diagnosi to absolve themselves of any blame they perceive they are due for what they think could be called bad parenting ?

As to understand, many parents feel guilt, but then, no one ever taught a parent to be a parent but in this modern society it seems we live in a blame culture where perhaps it is understandable what with the constant onslaught questioning our every motivation we feel we must guard against those who would poke the finger of blame at us for being nothing other than human and there subject to error. Not saying error has occurred but every parent will feel there is something they could have done better in wonderful old hindsight.

But there is always a flip side to the above as it is also in my mind that there are some pretty despicable parents out there that must be comparing their child to others and thinking negative of their child in comparison to others to seek a reason why they are so deficit, as that is what it is if the child is functioning and achieving and I have sadly seen it on other fora and am so glad I did not have a parent such as they for they are in my mind; disgusting

And there is of course; everyone must be a winner, if they are not there has got to be something wrong with them, so hey lets look for a diagnosis for being so deficient.

spiderwoman0_2

Well I'm not one of those parents who thinks their child can do no wrong, I know exactly what he is capable of.  He was aggresive when he was younger and hated it when children got in his face poking fun at him because he acted a little weird, so he lashed out.  In some cases I can't say I blamed him because the other child deserved it and I've always taught my kids to stand up for themselves as long as they never start anything first.  I always punish if they do wrong, but never by shouting or hitting and my son has learnt to control his temper and is a lovely young man now. :D